Friday, November 21, 2008

Musical Memory

I've composed a simple melody that has been with me for awhile. I didn't expect much from it, but it's so simple that it's been very easy to arrange. I like listening to it. Unfortunately, it's only a minute long.

To lengthen the piece without adding too much of my trademark monotony, I thought I'd add another theme that has been bouncing around in my head. Last time I remembered the melody, it seemed to fit well despite the different tonality. Of course, now that I'm ready to add it to the song, I can't remember it.

This happens frequently. Melodies come and go. I expect it to hit me again in the next few days. But in the mean time, I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs.

3 comments:

Dan said...

I don't think a melody repeated is necessarily a bad thing, especially if you vary the instrumentation. Have you ever listened to Penguin Cafe Orchestra? I'm a really big fan and I think you'd probably like them. Just a brilliant example of classical minimalism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvbCV6E0Wro

It's repetitive as hell, but I could listen to it for days on end and never get sick of it.

Jay said...

I like it, but I think I like music for a found harmonium more.

Dan said...

Yeah that's a great track too. Have you listened to Steve Reich much?