Friday, January 30, 2009

Few Things Make Me Angrier...


...than losing a game of Super Smash Bros to my own brothers. Their skills (or is it skillz?) have progressed beyond my own such that I am lucky to win 1 match out of every 5. And you should hear the torrent of swears and whining that streams from my mouth when I lose! For some reason, that game absolutely frustrates and infuriates me. Although I generally think otherwise, there may be something to the supposed link between violence and video games. I seethe coming off a bad game and practically wish to smack my brothers upside their heads!

Too bad winning is such a nice feeling...

1 comments:

SuiginChou said...

Part of me wants to say, "You should invest time in a real fighter" (e.g. Guilty Gear, SNK, Street Fighter), but part of me also realizes that you would probably lose much more often, given how frightfully good your brothers are at exploiting such non-random games as those. SSB is unique amongst fighters in that it is insanely random, what with its plethora of item drops, its unpredictability with regards to what %age is necessary for you to die (i.e. sometimes you die at 80%, other times you survive well into the 300%'s with the exact same character being launched off stage in the exact same manner), and its interactive stages which, even in a 2P battle, force each player to fight not only against his adversary but against a 3rd enemy as well (i.e. the stage's elements, e.g. Metroid's lava, Zelda's bomb-bridge, Pokemon's Pokemon).

You should keep in mind that you're very good at the game and that you're brothers are just exceptionally good at it. It's like being the dummy at Caltech: you're still smart, it's just that you're surrounded by Einsteins.