Thursday, April 3, 2008

Best Ice Cream in Town



Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr G's House of 2000 Flavors.

Living in Indiana for so long, I thought I had started to go crazy. I have looked up and down the Hoosier state for good, really good, transcendent, homemade ice cream, and every time, I've come up short. It's either too creamy, too watery, too flavorless, too custardy, or too something. These past years, I've been pretty much resigned to the idea that Nana's Ice Cream in Narragansett, Rhode Island must just be a wonderful fluke of homemade ice creamery.

Last night, I was proven wrong --and, believe me, being wrong has never tasted quite so sweet! I ordered a scoop of chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone with chocolate jimmies (okay, this time I chickened out and called them 'sprinkles') and from the first lick, I was transported to a flavor world of deliciousness. Mr G's House of 2000 Flavor's brought back a flood of good memories and, dare I say it, might even best my favorite Nana's.

I have a theory about this. I think the salt in the air coming off the ocean does something to make the ice cream transform from being merely sweet, to becoming savory. But my data set supporting this theory is pretty small.

Oh, all you poor saps in Indiana, I feel for you. You're truly missing out. If you ever take a trip to Fort Myers, I suggest a stop at Mr. G's House. Mmmm.


5 comments:

Tracy Lightfoot said...

At least in KY we have Graeters. =D

SuiginChou said...

Frozen custard > ice cream any day of the week. D: Regular custard is even better still. I think English cream desserts are pretty much the best, even better than French things, because they're so good yet so simple and homely ... things like rice pudding, bread pudding, hot custard, semolina pudding/porridge ...

Hmm, I didn't even realize before doing a Google search just now how un-American semolina is! English, Finns, and Indians seem to be at the top of the list. Have you ever had semolina, guys? Surely they must sell it in America ... I could have sworn I'd seen a cheap Uncle Ben's knock-off in the grocery before ...

Yep, it looks like the US uses wheat instead of duram and calls it "Cream of Wheat." I knew I'd seen it here before. I can't imagine Cream of Wheat tastes as good as proper semolina, though. ^^;

SuiginChou said...

Jay, it's good to hear you're having fun on vacation. Where/How are you getting online?

Jay said...

I hate custard. Bleh. And I'm not familiar with Semolina, but I'm a fan of cinnamon apple cream of wheat.

Our hotel has free wireless, so I've been able to get online during my downtime.

fulleju said...

you're in ft meyers? weird. Grandma and lou were literally JUST there.

anywho. nice quote. Darwin''s talking about himself again...right? lol...brittish people. ha.